Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas eh?

Well well well, being more of the internet chatty guy with friends around the world, than the mere socialites that stick to locals, its interesting to see the contrast of Christmas between Singapore, and the rest of the world. The differences are actually very glaring, and we Singaporeans can almost envy these people not from Singapore. I almost can't stress how different we are, so I'll just list them out here, and possibly say why eh?

As you can see, Singapore is an Asian country. Modern or not, Singapore is barely 40-ish years old, and to treat Christmas like a culture for the entire country, than just a religious, Christianity-based celebration, takes quite a long time to be accepted. Most of the parents in my generation are still old fasioned, and the generation gap is wide. Christmas to them is but a Christian affair. I've grown up to accept that fact too, that is untill I came to the internet. I can notice some of the new generation actually celebrating Christmas as a culture. Its mostly up to the person, but why not? I mean, in this time and day, more holidays would be good. Its a hectic society, working and slogging your arse off. More public holidays to celebrate and revel in good fun and happiness will be good eh? And the spirit of giving should be... somewhat voluntary. Then again, its up to the people who celebrate.

Well, from what I've heard from my American friends, it is more of a culture, a community event that the entire country celebrates. of course, for a few select people, it is nothing more than an annoyance, in which I kind of understand why. I'm not going to list down why, just go figure out for yourselves, or you can ask me why.

Ah well, why? Why the enourmous contrast? I guess this gap will close in the coming future, or will it remain the same? We'll see eh? We'll see.

No comments: